- Mellanox Connects 265 Systems or 53% of Overall TOP500 Platforms, Demonstrating 38% Growth in 12 Months (Nov’17-Nov18);
InfiniBand Accelerates the Top Three Supercomputers on TOP500 List;
- InfiniBand Connects 3X to 7.5X More New Systems versus Proprietary Networks; Mellanox 25 Gigabit and Faster Ethernet Solutions Connect 51% of Total Ethernet Systems
Mellanox Technologies has announced that the company’s InfiniBand and Ethernet solutions connect 53% of overall TOP500 platforms or 265 systems, demonstrating 38% growth within 12 months (Nov’17-Nov18). Furthermore, InfiniBand accelerates the top three supercomputers on the TOP500 list: the fastest High- Performance Computing (HPC) and Artificial Intelligence (AI) supercomputer in the world deployed at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory, the second fastest supercomputer in the US deployed at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, and the fastest supercomputer in China (ranked third).
InfiniBand ranks first overall for high-speed interconnect on the TOP500 list, connecting 3 to 7.5 times more new supercomputers on the TOP500 list compared to proprietary networks. InfiniBand remains the interconnect of choice for HPC and AI infrastructures.
The TOP500 List has evolved in the recent years to include more hyperscale, cloud, and enterprise platforms, in addition to the high-performance computing and machine learning systems. Nearly half of the systems on the November 2018 list can be categorized as non-HPC application platforms, with a vast part of these systems representing US, Chinese and other hyperscale infrastructures, and are interconnected with Ethernet. Mellanox Ethernet solutions connect 130 systems or 51% of the Ethernet systems on the list.
“Mellanox InfiniBand and Ethernet solutions now connect the majority of systems on the TOP500 list, an increase of 38 percent over the last twelve-month period. InfiniBand In-Network Computing acceleration engines provide the highest performance and scalability for HPC and AI applications, and accelerate the top three supercomputers in the world. InfiniBand enables record performance in HPC and AI, enabling the advancement of academic and scientific research which is reshaping our world. We continue to win new opportunities and are proud to have deployed the first HDR InfiniBand supercomputer at the University of Michigan. We expect to see more HDR InfiniBand connected platforms this year,” said Eyal Waldman, president and CEO of Mellanox Technologies. “For the first time, Mellanox’s Ethernet solutions connect the majority of the Ethernet based platforms on the TOP500 list, demonstrating the growing adoption of our 25 gigabit per second and faster Ethernet adapters, switches and cables for hyperscale, cloud and enterprise infrastructures. The innovations built into our InfiniBand and Ethernet solutions deliver the highest return on investment for compute and storage infrastructures, and enable the next generation of the world’s leading supercomputers, hyperscale and enterprise datacenters. We have already started planning the NDR 400 gigabit InfiniBand technology that will empower the Exascale supercomputing and machine learning platforms in the future.”
Published twice a year and publicly available at www.top500.org the TOP500 list ranks the world’s most powerful computer systems according to the Linpack benchmark rating system. Key takeaways from the November 2018 list include:
- Mellanox connects 53% of overall TOP500 platforms or 265 systems (InfiniBand and Ethernet), demonstrating 38% Growth in 12 months (Nov’17-Nov’18)
- InfiniBand accelerates the fastest HPC and AI supercomputer in the world – Oak Ridge National Laboratory ‘Summit’ system
- InfiniBand accelerates the top 3 supercomputers in the world – #1 (USA), #2 (USA), #3 (China)
- InfiniBand connects 135 supercomputers, or nearly 55% of overall HPC systems on the TOP500 list
- InfiniBand connects nearly 3X the number of new systems (2018) on the list versus Omnipath, and 7.5X systems versus Cray’s proprietary network
- InfiniBand is the most used high-speed interconnect for the TOP500 systems
- Mellanox connects 130 Ethernet systems (25 Gigabit and faster), or 51% of total Ethernet systems
- The TOP500 list has evolved to include both HPC and cloud / hyperscale (non-HPC) platforms
- Nearly half of the platforms on the TOP500 list can be categorized as non-HPC application platforms (mostly Ethernet-based)
- InfiniBand is the interconnect of choice for HPC and AI infrastructures
- Mellanox Ethernet is the interconnect of choice for cloud and hyperscale platforms
Visit Mellanox Technologies at the Supercomputing conference (November 12-15)
Visit Mellanox Technologies at the Supercomputing 2018 conference (booth #3207) in Dallas, Texas, to learn more about our InfiniBand and Ethernet solutions and the new 200G HDR InfiniBand systems, and to see the full suite of Mellanox’s end-to-end high-performance products. Join the Mellanox event on Wednesday November 14, more information can be found at http://www.mellanox.com/sc18.
- Learn more about Mellanox products and solutions at: http://www.mellanox.com
- Learn more about Mellanox HPC at http://www.mellanox.com/solutions/hpc
- Follow Mellanox on: Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, and YouTube
- Join the Mellanox Community
Mellanox Technologies (NASDAQ: MLNX) MLNX) is a leading supplier of end-to-end Ethernet and InfiniBand intelligent interconnect solutions and services for servers, storage, and hyper-converged infrastructure. Mellanox’s intelligent interconnect solutions increase data center efficiency by providing the highest throughput and lowest latency, delivering data faster to applications and unlocking system performance. Mellanox offers a choice of high performance solutions: network and multicore processors, network adapters, switches, cables, software and silicon, that accelerate application runtime and maximize business results for a wide range of markets including high performance computing, enterprise data centers, Web 2.0, cloud, storage, network security, telecom and financial services. More information is available at www.mellanox.com.