Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), will open 12 new International Business ExchangeTM (IBX®) data centres and expand 23 existing IBX data centres in 2019 as part of an expected US$1.730 to 1.920 billion of non-recurring capital expenditure expansion program for the year as announced on the company’s Q1 2019 earnings call.
The following new IBX data centers will open in 2019 and, where applicable, will be directly connected to other Equinix IBX data centers within each metro via fiber links between the sites.
- In Asia-Pacific
- Singapore – Equinix will open its fourth IBX in Singapore. SG4 will be strategically situated at the East of Singapore in one of the country’s five data center clusters—Tai Seng Industrial Estate—providing location diversity from the three existing Equinix IBX data centers in Singapore.
- Shanghai – In February 2019, Equinix opened its fifth IBX in Shanghai. Located in the Pudong Free-Trade Zone, the SH6 IBX data center is the largest Equinix facility in Shanghai and is a hub for the trading and financial services sectors.
- Tokyo – To support the growing demand for increased levels of interconnection from the cloud, network and financial services sectors, Equinix will open its eleventh and largest IBX in Tokyo, TY11.
- Melbourne – Equinix will open its fourth IBX in Melbourne. Equinix Melbourne IBX data centers offer strong network and cloud connectivity as well as direct access to the Victoria Internet Exchange. In addition, Equinix Melbourne data centers allow Equinix customers to be located in the second- largest economy in Australia.
- Seoul – South Korea is one of the top 15 largest economies in the world and one of the most vibrant digital economies globally—with high bandwidth and advanced applications driving many of its industries. To support this high-growth market, Equinix will open its first IBX in South Korea, SL1.
- Sydney – Equinix will open its eighth IBX in Sydney, SY5. SY5 will be Equinix’s largest IBX in Australia.
- In the U.S. and EMEA, IBX data centers opening in 2019 are PA8 in Paris, SO2 in Sofia, HE7 in Helsinki, LD7 in London, WA3 in Warsaw and HH1 in Hamburg.
- 2019 Expansions of Existing IBX Data Centers — In addition to the 12 new IBX openings in 2019, Equinix expansions of existing IBX data centers include 23 projects that will open in 2019 in the Amsterdam, Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Frankfurt (three expansion projects), Hong Kong (three expansion projects), London (four expansion projects), Madrid, New York, Osaka, Paris, Perth, Seattle, Stockholm and Zurich (two expansion projects) metros.
- Equinix Sustainability – Equinix is committed to designing, building and operating its data centers with high energy efficiency standards, and it has a long-term goal of using 100% clean and renewable energy for the company’s global platform. In 2018, Equinix sourced clean and renewable energy for over 90% of its global data center footprint.
Equinix Today – Equinix currently operates 202 IBX data centers in 24 countries and 52 metros across 22.2 million gross square feet of data center space. With more than 341,000 total interconnections that connect companies within the Equinix ecosystem, the company has more than 9,800 customers, including more than 1,800 networks and more than 2,900 cloud and IT service providers. Equinix customers include nearly half of the Fortune 500 and 35% of the Forbes Global 2000.